On Sale Now! Save 15%!
Mapei Mapelastic Aquadefense
Premium Waterproofing & Crack-Isolation Membrane
Mapelastic AquaDefense is a premixed, advanced liquid-rubber, extremely
quick-drying waterproofing and crack-isolation membrane for installation under
ceramic tile or stone in residential, commercial and industrial environments.
Features & Benefits
Mapelastic AquaDefense provides a thin, continuous barrier to protect adjacent
rooms and floors below from water damage. For common problem areas like
coves, corners, cracks and drains, it can be combined with MAPEI’s optional
Reinforcing Fabric or Mapeband ™ accessories (
Mapei Mapeband Cove Roll and drain flash) to
provide additional protection.
Mapelastic AquaDefense dries after about 30 to
50 minutes and is then ready to receive any MAPEI polymer or epoxy mortar.
Mapelastic AquaDefense can be flood-tested after 12 hours of drying time,
is IAPMO-listed for use as a shower-pan liner, and exceeds ANSI A118.10
and ANSI A118.12 standards.
- Very quick drying: Install tile after 30 to 50 minutes of drying time.
- Time-saving: Flood-test as shower-pan liner after 12 hours of drying time.
- Apply with roller or brush – easy to install over flat, curved or irregular
- Bonds to a wide range of surfaces; convenient, user-friendly and versatile
- No odor; great for confined spaces
- Prevents in-plane floor cracks from transmitting through tile or stone
Where to Use
- Residential and commercial interior/exterior floors, walls and ceilings
- Industrial interior floors and walls
- Tub and shower surrounds: bathrooms; kitchens; food prep, dishwashing,
servery and cafeteria areas; countertops; and laundry rooms
- Residential and commercial submerged applications: freshwater pools,
fountains and water features (completely covered by ceramic tile)
- Cantilevered balconies and decks over unoccupied space (see the
- Balconies and decks over occupied space when used in conjunction with
a primary waterproofing membrane
Steam rooms and steam showers (refer to TCNA
handbook’s sections SR613 and SR614 or TTMAC
319SR and 321SR).
- Meets ASTM E-96 Procedure E for a low perm waterproof
- In-plane crack isolation up to 1/8" (3 mm) over
- MAPEI's Reinforcing Fabric is available but optional for
use on coves, corners and field application.
Mapei Mapeband Cove Roll Cove Roll
Interior and exterior
- Fully cured concrete at least 28 days old
(see “Limitations” section)
- Masonry walls of cement block or brick
- Cured cement mortar beds or leveling coats
- Cement backer units (CBUs)
- Gypsum wallboard (walls only, in approved application
- Properly prepared radiant-heated substrates
- Properly prepared unglazed ceramic tile and cement
terrazzo floors, and gypsum underlayments with a
minimum of 2,500 psi (17,2 MPa) in compressive strength
Note: Existing unglazed ceramic tile must be abraded,
and existing cement terrazzo must be mechanically
profiled. Both must be skimcoated with an appropriate
MAPEI latex- or polymer-modified mortar.
- Exterior-grade plywood (for interior residential floors
and countertops in dry areas only)
- PVC, copper, brass and stainless-steel pipe penetrations
Approximate Coverage (per 2 coats)*
* Coverage shown is for estimating purposes only. Actual jobsite coverage may vary according to substrate conditions, concrete profile and
porosity, type of equipment used, thickness applied, handling and application procedures.
- 1 Gallon - 60 sq. ft
- 5 Gallon - 300 sq. ft
Mapei Part #
- 1 Gallon - 01953
- 5 Gallon - 01968
Mapei Mapelastic Aquadefense Technical Data Sheet